The Office of Economic Development is a unit of the Office of Research and Economic Development, with responsibility for developing program and physical infrastructure resources that strengthen and enable university, industry and government collaborations. Its goal is to create an engaged university that is an integral part of the regional economy, local communities and industry attraction/retention efforts in the state.
The university and state-wide programs led by the Office of Economic Development, such as the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute, Innovation Park@Rutgers, and the New Jersey Big Data Alliance, are designed to:
- catalyze interdisciplinary collaboration
- attract world-class researchers to the university
- increase research funding
- retain and strengthen New Jersey’s current industrial base
- attract new companies to the state
- increase internship, research and employment opportunities for students.
"In states across America, higher education institutions and systems are working to become key drivers of economic development and community revitalization … these trends suggest a new paradigm for economic development programs — one that puts higher education at the center of states’ efforts to succeed in the knowledge economy."